PUBLIC MEETING MINUTES
Wednesday, March 8, 2017
St. Bernadette’s Catholic School
“St. Joseph’s Church & School – 150 Years”
CALL TO ORDER BY PRESIDENT TOM SUTTER
TOTAL ATTENDANCE: 93
OFFICERS AND BOARD MEMBERS IN ATTENDANCE:
Tom Sutter, Laura Leimer, Mark Moderson, Linda Muldoon, John Marx, Brian Schneider, Jim Krueger and Diana Sandberg.
Upcoming Special Events
August 13 2pm - Riverside Cemetery Walk – City Pioneers
December 2 9-12:30 History Fair at the Indoor Farmer’s Market, City Center Plaza
2017 Appleton History Speaker Series
January 11 Vulcan replica and early hydroelectricity – Tom Seidl
February 8 Appleton parades – Greg Otis
March 8 St. Joseph’s Church and School, 150 years – Jim Krueger
April12 NativeAmericans–Peter Peregrine
May 10 Appleton East High School – 50 years – Corey Otis
July 12 Cloud Buick - Steve Cloud
August9 Attic Theater–Berray Billington
September 13 Pioneer and Riverside Cemeteries – Gwen Sargeant
APPLETON HISTORICAL SOCIETY ORGANIZATIONAL INFORMATION:
♦︎ AHS Officers:
A.President - Thomas Sutter
B.Vice President - Gwen Sargeant
C.Secretary – James Richter
D.Treasurer – Laura Leimer
♦︎ AHS Board of Directors:
A. Terms through November 2017:
4. Diana Sandberg
B.Terms through November 2018:
Fund Raising Committee:
A. James Richter, Chairman
B. Gwen Sargeant, Vice Chairman
C. Laura Leimer, Treasurer
D. Linda Muldoon
E. Brian Schneider
F. David Buss
G. Jack Voight
Fund Raising SubCommittee-Promotions:
A. Mark Moderson, Chairman
B. Jim Krueger, Vice Chairman
C. Karen Moderson
Building and Grounds Committee:
A. John Marx, Chairman
B. Gwen Sargeant, Vice Chairman
C. Laura Leimer, Treasurer
D. James Krueger
E. Brian Schneider
Additional Committee Chairs are as follows:
A. Mark and Karen Moderson, Principal Organizers
B. Brian Schneider, Technical Resources
C. David Buss and Diana Sandberg, Research Specialists
D. Gwen Sargeant, Public Relations and Web Page
E. Christine Williams, Monthly Programs
F. Gwen Sargeant, Publications
PRESIDENT SUTTER ANNOUNCEMENTS:
*President Tom Sutter welcomed and thanked all 93 folks in attendance and thanked Greg Otis and his parade of assistants for their wonderful presentation on Appleton’s parades at the February meeting. As a follow up to the parade topic Sutter noted from a 1975 Wall Street Journal article that Peter Thiel had contributed that the Appleton Foxes marched each year in the Flag Day Parade. Further, Sharon Krueger has contributed two trays of slides of photographs her father took during the 1957 centennial parade of Appleton and Sutter displayed a wonderful photograph from that collection.
*Sadly, on Saturday, March 4th we lost one of our compatriots as our friend Donald Schwandt peacefully started his next journey. Don was an inveterate collector of military history and had provided a nice display at the History Fair of the Society held on December 7th.
*Mark Moderson, co-chair of the History Fairs, read Jim Richter’s report on the successful 14th Fair held on March 4, 2017, and featuring the first 100 years of manufacturing in Appleton. Jim’s absence as well as that of Gwen Sargeant, in each case for health reasons, was noted and best wishes extended for fast recovery.
*Thanks were given to the Post Crescent for their continuing publicity for the Society and to Gwen for the Society Newsletter.
*Note was made of a Wisconsin Maps display at the Menasha Public Library during the month of March and a special discussion scheduled for Sunday, March 12th @ 2 p.m.
*Note was also made that two of Winston Churchill’s grandchildren will speak at Fox Valley Lutheran High School on Saturday, May 13th at 3 pm.
*The exciting announcement for the evening regarded the wonderful donation by the Langenberg Family of $25,000 towards the Society’s building fund. The Langenbergs were early residents and business people in Appleton in the 1850s and one was a founding member of St. Joseph’s Parish.
*This led us into our evening’s speaker, Jim Krueger and his presentation of the 150 year history of St. Joseph’s Parish and School. Jim regaled us with that history and his great stories about the people and events during those 150 years.
Respectfully submitted by Thomas H Sutter, President
AHS 14th History Fair Final report
March 4, 2017
A wonderful mid-winter day greeted the 341 souls who attended the 14th History Fair presented by the Appleton Historical Society. The event was again held as part of the Appleton Downtown Winter Farm Market at the City Center in downtown Appleton. Those who attended showed great support and positive comments for our theme, and the variety of exhibits displayed. The kids and adults loved our free candy. Several copies of AHS’s book, Images of America-Appleton, were sold at the event.
Exhibits focused on Appleton’s Manufacturers – The First 100 Years and included displays on the Eagles Mills, Altas Mill, Presto Products and some 50 other manufacturers. A summary of exhibits displayed:
1. AHS Welcome Table- Tom Sutter, Gwen Sargeant, Laura Leimer
2. Brian Schneider - Free scanning of pictures & artifacts
3. Tom Sutter – Historic maps and Atlas Mills display
4. Jim Richter, Diana Sandberg, Brian Schneider, David Buss- 3 table display Historic Mills with Map
5. Jim Krueger – Appleton manufacturer items and large Presto Products display with Lighted Sign
6. Mark Moderson - JolinToy Co. and Rowell Manufacturing displays as well as other business items
7. John Marx - Eagle Manufacturing and other manufacturer items
8. Dave Kalz – pictures, post cards and artifacts
9. Diana Sandberg, Appleton Public Library – A variety of unique Appleton businesses displays
10. Barney Hameister - post cards and pictures
11. Betty Wolfgram – post cards and pictures
12. Alan Deeg – pictures, post cards, and artifacts
13. Sheilah Brucks – Miller Electric display and other manufacturer items
14. Brian Zenefski – Adler Brau Brewery display
Many thanks to our dedicated exhibitors and all the time and effort they committed to our success! We thank Jennifer Stephany, Djuanna Hugdahl, Meghan and Alex of Appleton Downtown Inc. for making the event possible. Thanks also go to Pfefferle Companies Inc., Jill Van Asten and their City Center Staff for providing space, equipment and assistance. We also appreciate the excellent news coverage that was provided by WHBY Radio, the Appleton Post Crescent, and the Bargain Bulletin. Thanks also to Community 1st and Capital Credit Unions for marquee ads.
James Richter, Co-Chairman
Chairman, Mark Moderson, Co-
PROGRAM: “St. Joseph’s Church & School – 150 Years”
PRESENTER: Jim Krueger
Jim was born and raised in Appleton. He is married Lori (Rohm) his wife of 44 years and together they have three boys, Joshua, Tyler and Alexander and three grandsons, Ayden, Chance and Bryton.
Jim has been a member of Saint Joseph’s Church for 65 years, where he has taught children’s liturgy for the past twenty five years. Recently Jim has served on the 150th Jubilee committee as chairman of the Historical Committee.
Jim’s career spanned 45 years working at Presto Products for 33 years and at Larson converting company for 12 as a safety manager and is now retired.
Jim has a lifelong passion for Appleton History and is currently a board member of the Appleton Historical Society. He enjoys collecting Appleton history and preserving her memorabilia. Most of all he enjoys sharing his memories and collection with the public.
Jim has an extensive collection of Appleton, memorabilia and artifacts that he intends to eventually donate to AHS for display in their new Appleton History Museum. Until them Jim plans are to shares his passion for Appleton history and his collection with the public at the Appleton History fairs. Jim is very proud to have been a part of the group that published AHS’s own book of Appleton history. His favorite Appleton items to collect include: First National Bank, Lawrence University, Templin’s Beer Depot and Adler Brau Brewery memorabilia. Other collections include a large Coca Cola collection as well as an automobile memorial collection.
Jim’s wife sometimes refers to him as Hector the collector.
As we begin Sister Ethel would like your attention please!!
Power Point Presentation:
IN 1850, AS APPLETON BEGAN TO GROW SO DID IT’S CATHOLIC POPULATION OF IRISH AND GERMAN IMMIGRANTS AND THEIR DESIRE TO WORSHIP IN A CHURCH OF THEIR OWN. AT THAT TIME THEY HAD TO GO TO LITTLE CHUTE OR THE TOWN OF FREEDOM TO ATTEND A CATHOLIC SERVICE.
In 1856 the Catholics of Appleton began to make preparations to build a church in the third ward. Catholics were now more numerous than any other denomination in the county.
In 1859 Theodore Conkey, a non-Catholic, donated a parcel of land to the Catholics to build their church. Saint Mary’s Church was built in Grand Chute (Appleton) on the corner of State and Seventh Streets and was completed in 1860 at a cost of $1,700.00.
The church received attention in 1864 when in July the Catholics of Appleton and vicinity held a most enjoyable picnic at John D. Pierce’s park. They marched from the church to the park and paraded down College Avenue. About 4000 people attended.
By 1866 disagreements were occurring between the Irish and German parishioners. Father Louis Dael understood the difficult position of the German speaking parishioners . Many of them had recently arrived from Germany and the English language was strange to them. They wanted to hear God’s word preached to them in German.
Bishop Henni of Milwaukee sanctioned the foundation of a new parish on the feast of Saint Joseph, March 19, 1867. Saint Joseph was named patron of the new church. When the bishop declared the German independent parish, he said the English speaking members of Saint Mary’s should keep the church but were obligated to pay $3,000 to the Germans. All English and French speaking parishioners would belong to Saint Mary’s and Saint Joseph’s would include the Germans and Hollanders.
Thus the matter was brought to a close.
ST. JOSEPH’S CHURCH BEGINNINGS:
Land was purchased from John D. Pierce on what is now West Lawrence Street for $1,200 by the Saint Joseph Society. In August of 1868, a one story, wooden-framed, school house was purchased from Appleton for $150. It was the Old Third Ward Jefferson school located on Cherry and Locust Streets. The old school house was moved to the lot purchased by the Saint Joseph Society. This required cutting the building in half and rolling it on logs down Lawrence Street. When moved it was understood that it would only be a temporary church until a new church could be erected. John Herman Langenberg, who emigrated from Germany in about 1850, was one of the founders of Saint Joseph Church. Langenberg was a farmer and a community leader. He owned property at the northeast corner of Eighth and Elm Streets.
It was a humble beginning for St. Joseph’s Church. Their new patched up building, hovered precariously over the ravine on the south. Father Uhlemayer celebrated the first mass on October 18, 1868. The building wasn’t very appealing but the Germans had their very own church. On December 13, 1868, Bishop Melcher dedicated the church. On February 25, 1869, Reverend Joseph Nussbaum arrived as the first resident pastor of Saint Joseph Parish.
In 1870 Father Ferdinand Stern, the second pastor, establishes a school in the basement of the church. Two sisters of Saint Agnes were the first teachers. After three years the Sisters of Notre Dame took over teaching positions until the school closed in the late 1970’s.
The church pastor did not have a rectory so the pastor stayed at parishioner's homes. The parish decided to build a rectory before building the new church so the pastor could live on the grounds and the rectory was built for a cost of $330. In May of 1869 two church bells were purchased for a cost of $978. The bells were rung for church services, used for fire alarms and holiday celebrations. The bells were the pride of Appleton.
1872 THE NEW CHURCH:
Father Stern is credited with the building and completion of the new church. It was dedicated on the first Sunday of November 1872. The church was 100 feet by 50 feet with no pillars and featured one High Altar and two side altars. The bell tower and steeple were 150 feet tall. The seating capacity was 400 and cost $21,140. This basically, is the same church that Saint Joseph parishioners worship in today (2017).
1877 THE FIRST CAPUCHIN PRIEST COMES TO ST. JOSEPH’S PARISH:
Father Didacus Wendle was the first Capuchin Priest to serve as pastor of Saint Joseph Parish in 1877. The Capuchin Order have been serving Saint Joseph Parish for 140 years.
1878 ST. JOSEPH’S CEMETERY WAS ESTABLISHED:
In 1878, 20 acers of land was purchased on the banks of the Fox River for $1,000. This area has been cared for and developed into a truly beautiful cemetery for those that have gone to rest and for the families they left behind to come and remember.
It is now home to many of the founding parishioners and their families. 1880 NEW ST. JOSEPH’S SCHOOL WAS BUILT:
At the time the new school was being built, 150 students were crammed into the small building that was the former church. Plans were made for a brick building with two stories facing south and three stories facing north. It would also have apartments for the Sisters on the second floor. This school stood for nearly 100 years and was replaced by a new school in 1951, but continued to serve the parish until it was taken down in 1979.
1894 A NEW PARISH HALL WAS CONSTRUCTED:
The construction of the Parish Hall offered opportunity to arrange a spacious basement and subbasement that was used for bowling, and gymnastics, ample meeting rooms, card parties, plays and in general used by all church societies. The building was raised in 1950.
1897 REMODELING BEGINS ON THE CHURCH
Five new bells were installed in the steeple. These bells were rung by hand for over 100 years using individual ropes hanging below. These bells are now electronic. The clock tower was installed at this time. Electric lights were added to the church. Other updates included new statues and altar improvements.
1898 GROWING PAINS RESULT IN A NEW PARISH:
Due to continued growth of the Catholic population in Appleton, Sacred Heart Parish was created on the south side. Many of the parishioners moving were from Saint Mary’s parish the majority were from Saint Joseph. Although Saint Joseph parishioners were not enthusiastic about this separation they helped raise funds to build the new church.
1902 NEW SAINT JOSEPH STATUE DEDICATED:
On the 25th anniversary of the Capuchins coming to Saint Joseph Church a new Statue of Saint Joseph was installed and blessed on April 20, 1902. This statue stands in front of our church in 2017.
1904 THE TIMES ARE A CHANGING:
On December 25, 1904 the first English sermon was preached at the 9:00am Children's mass. This became standard practice. The First World War dealt a death blow to using German language in church or schools. In the 1930’s using German at services was discontinued.
Thus English became the language of the parish.
PASSION PLAY WAS HELD AT THE PARISH HALL AUDITORIUM CIRCA 1910
1919 THE CHURCH GETS A NEW FLOOR:
The wooden floor was covered with 4 inches of cement and then a beautiful Terrazzo Floor was laid. This floor is still in use in 2017.
GEORGE WALTER (STAR) BREWING WAS A LONG TIME MAJOR SUPPORTER OF SAINT JOSEPH PARISH
1923 A NEW HOME FOR THE SISTERS:
Pastor Gummerman believed that the Sisters needed better living quarters and the new Convent was built. It was used by the Sisters of Notre Dame for 50 years and was later used as a halfway house, a home for Keenagers and then turned into eight apartments housing the Open Door Project. This building was removed to create a parking lot for the County in 2015.
1931 HUGE CATHOLIC RALLY:
In 1931 A Diocesan Holy Name Rally Mass was held at Pierce Park and attended by 10,000 members. About 40,000 people witnessed a mammoth parade.
1936 THE CHURCH ENTRANCE STEPS GET A ROOF AND A FOYER BENEATH
1940 SOLIDARITY OF OUR LADY:
During this period, Saint Joseph’s had 20 individual groups, societies and organizations ranging from service, scouting, choir, prayer, and Holy Name just to name a few. These were open to all Boys and Girls, as well as Men and Women of all ages.
1943 JUBILEE FESTIVAL AND HOME COMING HELD AT PIERCE PARK – 10,000 PEOPLE WERE IN ATTENDANCE
1951 A TREMENDOUS NEW SCHOOL:
Saint Joseph's gets a beautiful new and modern school with a full gymnasium complex. 1955 SPACE NEEDS STILL AN ISSUE FOR SCHOOL:
By 1955 school enrollment grew to 1100 students and the old school was reopened to reduce overcrowding. In 1959 Xavier High School opened and 9th grade was moved there and the old school was again only used for after school activities.
1950 SAINT JOSEPH CHURCH AND SCHOOL BLESSED WITH A WONDERFUL MUSIC PROGRAM UNDER THE DIRECTION OF FRANCIS SCHOLTZ:
Mr. Scholtz was hired in 1950 as Music Program director. He was the church organist, band instructor, men's and boy’s choir director and music teacher for grades 1 through 9.
In 1962 he became band director of the Xavier High School Band.
In 1965 The saint Joseph School Band, Choir and Xavier Band recorded a record album.
SCHOOL NURSES PROGRAM:
In the 1950’s and 1960’s the Saint Joseph’s School had an exceptional nursing program. Eight women volunteered to provide that program.
1964 FATHER TIMON COSTELLO JOINS THE ST. JOSEPH’S PARISH TEAM:
♦︎ 1964 - Father Timon became a member of the Saint Joseph pastoral team.
♦︎ He made an immediate impact and formed a coffee shop in the old school called the Cavern for young people to have a safe place to meet.
♦︎ Later Father Timon created a new home with activities for the young high school students called the Shangri-La. It was located in the new Saint Joseph school basement rumpus room.
♦︎ Next he formed a Halfway house called Villa Hope for recovering alcoholics. This program would later grow to four homes in Appleton.
♦︎ Villa Hope is now incorporated and continues to operate today.
♦︎ Father Timon was a true blessing to our parish and the City of Appleton!
♦︎ 1965 Father Timon gets new wheels!
** The Appleton Harley Davidson Shop donated a motor bike to Father Timon so that he could get around town.
SAINT JOSEPH’S SCHOOL HAD AN EXCEPTIONAL LUNCH PROGRAM:
Saint Joseph School Hot Lunch Program Cooks were headed by Mrs. Schroeder.
1966 SISTERS OF SAINT JOSEPH’S SCHOOL AND CHURCH:
1966 PRIESTS AND BROTHERS OF SAINT JOSEPH’S SCHOOL AND CHURCH:
SEPTEMBER 25, 1967 A DARK DAY AT SAINT JOSEPH PARISH:
SAVING THE OLD SCHOOL CROSS:
With the tearing down of the Old School in 1979, the Old School Cross was temporarily lost. Some years later the original school cross was donated back to Saint Joseph Church by an Appleton family and is now displayed at the church.
FATHER JOHN ZICKERT BECOMES PASTOR OF SAINT JOSEPH’S:
♦︎ 1982 - Father John and Tom Schiltz create the Saint Joseph Food Program to help provide food poor.
♦︎ 1984 -1987- Father John joined forces to help create The COTS Housing Program, The Community Close Closet, and Leaven program.
♦︎ 1985 – Saint Joseph completed the renovation project that included new offices, an atrium connecting the friary and church. and remolding the friary.
♦︎ 1991-Father John guided the church renovation project that included addition of the Great Hall.
♦︎ The church interior saw many changes including the removal of pews in the rear, the addition of the Baptismal Fountain and painting of the interior. The Pulpit and Altar were remodeled to look as they do today.
♦︎ 1992 - Saint Joseph Church celebrated it’s 125 anniversary.
FATHER JOHN HOLLY BECOMES PASTOR OF SAINT JOSEPH’S:
♦︎ Father John was our longest serving pastor at ten years of continued service, 1993- 2003.
♦︎ 1995 - Father John created Open Door Project, converting the Convent into eight apartments for families in transition.
♦︎ 1996 - ground was broken for the new Saint Joseph Food Pantry.
♦︎ 1998 - New organ pipes and console were added to the front of church.
♦︎ 2002 - A new parish center was built and later named Holly Hall in Honor of Father John.
FATHER LARRY ABLER BECOMES PASTOR OF SAINT JOSEPH’S:
♦︎ 2003- At age 65 Father Larry became our pastor.
♦︎ 2008- Father Larry established a warming shelter for the homeless in Appleton.
** He organized volunteers to provide hot food, sleeping materials, and bus passes to get people to Holly Hall for food and shelter. This shelter program would eventually become a rotating shelter between 20 churches opening their doors. Later a permanent shelter was built behind Saint Vincent de Paul store in Appleton.
FATHER JIM LEARY BECOMES PASTOR OF SAINT JOSEPH’S:
♦︎ 2010 - Father Mike the Pastor of Saint Mary’s dies from injuries caused by a fall.
♦︎ Father Jim Leary administered both parishes for the next five months.
♦︎ 2010 - In September Father Jim was named pastor for both parishes and does an outstanding job serving both.
♦︎ 2014 – Father Jim returns as pastor of only Saint Joseph parish and a new pastor is named for Saint Mary’s parish.
♦︎ 2015 - Father Jim oversees the seven week long renovation of the church steeple including replacing the original tin cross on the top with a new copper cross. The original cross now stands in the Great Hall for all to see and enjoy. When taken down it was found to have a bullet hole it. Many tall tales have been told on how this happened.
♦︎ 2016 - Father Jim leads a year long celebration of events to commemorate Saint Joseph’s150th Jubileecelebration.
♦︎ This will culminate on March 19, 2017 , The Feast Of Saint Joseph, with a Jubilee Mass and then a celebration brunch at the Paper Valley that will include a brief program and a visit from the Bishop and several past Pastoral Members of Saint Joseph Church.
♦︎ St. Joseph’s Church goes full circle after 150 years. After starting out as members of an Irish parish, the members of Saint Joseph Church a once primarily German membership, now has an Irish Pastor by the name of Father Jim Leary. God really does work in mysterious ways!
OVER 150 YEARS SAINT JOSEPH’S HAS HAD 31 PASTORS:
RECOGNIZING SAINT JOSEPH’S 150 YEARS A MAYORAL PROCLAMATION:
Saint Joseph’s received a proclamation from Mayor Tim Hanna. Jim Krueger accepted this on behalf of the Parish in 2016.
On behalf of Saint Joseph Parish, I would like to thank Appleton for allowing us to be such an important part of the community for the past 150 years. Thank you also for the opportunity to present this program to the Appleton Historical Society.
Respectfully, James L. Richter , AHS Secretary, 3/18/17